*Due to crop failure vanilla prices have skyrocketed to over $200 per pound. We look forward to restocking once the price evens out.
1/2 ounce package (approx 9-10 beans depending on size)
Please keep in mind that because they are extraction grade the pod is a bit drier than a typical vanilla bean.
How to make Vanilla Extract:
You will need....
~ 8 ounces of Spiced Rum, Brandy, Bourbon, or Vodka
~ 7-8 vanilla beans
~ Glass jar
1. Slice vanilla bean lengthwise to expose the seeds. If needed cut to fit your jar.
2. Place in the glass jar.
3. Fill with 8 ounces of alcohol.
4. Put cap on jar and shake.
5. Store in a cupboard or pantry where you will remember to shake regularly. Let sit at least a month (preferably 2-3 months). You can add more alcohol to the jar and reuse the beans at least one more time.
- If you like a sweet vanilla add a teaspoon of honey or pure maple syrup.
- Cut used beans up and add to a jar of coconut or regular sugar for a tasty treat.